People in long term relationships have to face challenges on a daily basis. Some of these problems are easy to fix while others may pose serious threats on the relationship, if they are not dealt with in a proper manner.
However, more serious issues may arise when partners feel stressed and that is why is very important to eliminate it from the relationship. You won’t be able to get read of stress completely but you might learn how to deal with it properly. Here are some practical examples you should follow:
1. Work together in order to have a successful relationship. You will always have difficulties and issues, not just happy moments. While it is impossible to prevent every single problem, it’s important to face them together and work towards a common goal. Abandon and passivity are two notions that should be stranger to a relationship.
2. Respect each other. Respect your partner even when you think you are treated with disrespect. If you don’t respect each other, the relationship will eventually fail.
3. Take care of each other. You cannot ask from your partner more than you are ready to give him. Therefore, if you want and would like to be taken care of every day, take care of your partner. Be interested in his interests, pay attention to what he has to say, be active in his life.
4. Never forget about the positive. In a couple’s life, there will be difficult moments, when the bliss of a good relationship will be shaded by problems and misunderstandings. It’s OK, nothing is perfect in this world. You won’t be able to avoid all problems but you are able to deal with them. And remember that you are together because of the good things that you love about each other. Problems come and go while positive traits are here to stay.
5. Connect. Physically and emotionally. Pay attention to each other. Spend quality time together and use this time to communicate, to do things you like, to learn new things about each other or to grow together as a couple and individually. Routine may be a friend but it can also be a foe if it’s the only thing you have in common.
6. Accept each other as you are. Work past the differences and praise the good traits and qualities. Don’t over criticize your significant other and learn to forgive and forget when the issues are small or of little importance.
7. Get read of external influences. Or at least, try to ignore them. Don’t let issues or people that are outside your relationship affect you in any way or come between you. Deal with them together as a couple and try to balance the time you spend together with the time you are using the phone, the computer or watching TV. Even if you think you are together in front of the TV, the time cannot be considered as quality time.
8. Don’t let the romance go away. And don’t expect things to happen by default. Yes, you love each other, you know each other but it is not enough. You have to work everyday in order to keep the romance alive.
9. Preserve your energy. We have less and less time to do what we want and the things we like. We are constantly working or worrying about work related issues. These things however are bad for you relationship as your energy is limited and if you want things to work between the two of you, you need to preserve some of it in order to work on your relationship as well. Try to disconnect from the daily routine while you are together and make the little time you have with each other worth.
10. Live in the present. Whatever happened in the past, should stay there. If you want your relationship to work, you have to thinks about the present and the future. And constantly update your interests and dreams and talk about them as a couple.